Step 1 – Download the iso file of the latest Ubuntu release
You can download the Ubuntu iso file directly from the ubuntu website and save it to your computer. Go to http://releases.ubuntu.com.
Choose for the LTS release, which stands for Long Term Support. Download the iso file of the Ubuntu release and save it to your computer.
Step 2 – Format your usb stick
First you will have to format your usb stick. You can use the disk utility (installed by default) to format the drive.Search for the application Disks on your computer and start the application.
Step 3 – Create a bootable USB-stick
There are several programs you could use to create a bootable usb stick with ubuntu on it. You could use for example Startup Disk Creator, UNetbootin or rufus. To install Ubuntu on my desktop I chose for Startup Disk Creator.
After opening the application, select the iso-file you just dowloaded and create a bootable usb-stick.
Step 4: Set boot order of the BIOS to USB
Newer computers allow you to enter the BIOS setup pressing one of the keys shown below during the boot process.
F1 F2 F10 DEL ESC
Go to the boot menu and set the boot order on USB.
Step 4: Start your computer with your bootable USB stick
You should see a welcome screen asking you to choose your language and giving you the option to install Ubuntu or try it from the USB stick.
Step 5: Go through the installation menu
- Select Download updates while installing Ubuntu.
- Select and Install third-party software for graphics and WIFI-hardware, Flash, MP3 and other media. If you are not connected to the internet, you will be asked to select a wireless network, so connect during the installation.
- Choose to Install Ubuntu alongside another operating system, delete your existing operating system and replace it with Ubuntu, or — if you’re an advanced user — choose the ’Something else’ option
- Select your location
- Select your preferred keyboard layout. If you’re not sure, click the ’Detect Keyboard Layout’ button for help.
- Enter your login and password details
- Wait while the system installs…
- Restart your computer